March 30, 1962
The Blanco Panther Band, under the direction of Dalton Harbers, won top honors, two first divisions, at the UIL sight reading and concert playing contest held at San Marcos High School. The prepared music for the concert playing consisted of "Fantasy for Band," "Excerpts from Hansel and Gretel", and "Golden Eagle March." • A beauty salon and an arc welding supply district office were now occupying two of the buildings recently vacated on the west side of the square. Leona’s Beauty Salon opened for business here in the building formerly used by Wolf’s Barber Shop on the square and Highway 281. It is operated by Mrs. Leona Corley. The district office of Forney Industries was moved to Blanco from San Antonio and are located in the former Hunter’s Store building on Highway 281.
March 31, 1972
The congregation of Trinity Lutheran Church gave a Silver Wedding Surprise Party for the Rev and Mrs. A. R. Wolber following the Lenten service. The event was opened with a prayer for Rev. and Mrs. Wolber by Hilmar Bindseil, President of the Church Council, followed by the congregation singing "Blest be the Tie that Binds." After this, a buffet supper was enjoyed in the parish hall of the church. • The new books on the library shelves were "The Nixon Recession Paper" by Ralph Maloney, "Murder Has Its Points" by Francis and Richard, and "The Little Wax Doll" by Norah Lofts.
April 1, 1982
Mrs. Ruby Poenisch had been named Chairman of the Blanco County Unit of the American Cancer Society’s educational and fund raising Cancer Crusade. Mrs. Ola Matus of Johnson City was named co-chairman and will conduct the campaign in Johnson City. • Roy Bruemmer of the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park had recently received a Special Achievement Award. This was not the first time he had been recognized for his job excellence. In the Spring of 1979 he was the recipient of the same award for assuming the duties of the Chief of the Division of Maintenance and Ranching during the illness of the regular supervisor.
April 1, 1992
A spectacular one-car accident at 1:40 AM took out a telephone pole in front of the Blanco Masonic Temple on Highway 281 and uprooted a tree in front of Barbara Milam’s residence in the 1000 block of Main Street, but resulted in no serious injuries, according to Blanco Police Chief Dan Saltarelli. The driver was southbound on 281 when he fell asleep while travelling 60-65 miles per hour driving in the outside lane. The driver banged a knee in the accident, but refused EMS assistance. The cost of a new telephone pole was estimated at $1000 and of the 12 inch diameter tree, $200. • Blanco County, unlike most of the state, lost no retail outlets between the third quarter of 1990 and the third quarter of 1991, while over the rest of Texas, a total of 16,503 retail outlets vanished from state tax records.
April 3, 2002
A runaway Air Force radar balloon- originally based in Rio Grande City, over 300 miles to the south- floated through Burnet County and caused power interruptions that affected more than 2800 PEC members. • Blanco City Police learned that the cemetery American flag had apparently been intentionally burned. The flag cord had been either cut or burned up to about 12 feet high. A small singed area on the base of the flagpole revealed the fate of the flag. • Over 100 worshippers braved the cold temperatures and north winds to assemble at 7 a.m. in Blanco State Park Pavilion for the Easter Sunrise Service hosted by St. Ferdinand’s Catholic Church and sponsored by Blanco Ministerial Fellowship.