Blanco County News
Weather Partly Cloudy 84.0°F (41%)
Remember When...
A Look Back at Blanco County History
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 • Posted April 13, 2011 10:44 AM

April 10, 1964

The rabies immunization was carried out and 76 dogs and cats were vaccinated at the Blanco Fire Station by Dr. C.F. Price, local veterinarian. This was the largest number to be brought in at a central point to be immunized. • February Savings Bond Sales in Blanco County totaled $4,368. Sales for the first two months of 1964 were $6,636, which represented 11% of the 1964 sales goal. • On Easter weekend, three young teenage boys rode their bicycles from San Antonio to Blanco, a distance of 48 miles, for the purpose of camping overnight in the Blanco State Park. The Eagle Scouts made the trip in order to count it toward their cycling merit badge. Bill Hatcher, Kyle Chanler, and Ross Wilson left San Antonio at 6:30 AM and arrived in Blanco State Park around noon of the same day. 

 

April 12, 1974

Mr. and Mrs. Rigsby Hammond were selected for the honor of the Outstanding non-Resident Conservationists of the Year due to their many years of cooperation with the Pedernales Soil Conservation District on their farm located up-river from Blanco. • Mix ‘Em or Match ‘Em: Poor Boy Family Center had Larsen Vegetables, Raider cut Green Beans, Joan of Arc Golden Corn, and Van Camp Pork and Beans on sale 5 for $1. A tube of Mammy’s Homestyle & Buttermilk biscuits was on sale for $0.09, and a 3 lb. can of Folger’s Coffee was on sale for $2.89 after coupon. 

 

April 11, 1984

The "fowl" smells of sprint prompted a Blanco family to appear before the Blanco City Council. The Pancake family asked members for help in solving a conflict with one of their neighbors, the Percival family, who, they complain, raises 50-75 rabbits on his property and reportedly has plans to raise 75 ducks. Mrs. Pancake said she’d been in contact with various county and state officials, including the State Health Department, in reference to the problem. • Twelve Blanco County 4-H members competed at the District 10 Food Fair held at Highland Mall in Austin. Laurie Lindig was named alternate to state show in fruits and vegetables. Laurie was scored on her dish of Vegetable-Cheese soup. 

 

April 13, 1994

Blanco County would mark the grand opening of a used oil collection center with free T-shirts, plastic collection containers, mini coolers, and other giveaways. The collection center, located at 425 Jones Avenue, would give area residents a convenient alternative to dumping used oil into the environment. Oil collected at the center would be recycled. Area residents also would be able to drop aluminum, tin cans, newspaper and green, brown, and clear glass at the center, which would be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. •  On May 7, 1994, Blanco State Park would be celebrating its 60thyear as a state park. Designated as Texas State Park No. 7, the park was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933 and opened in May of 1934. A gala celebration was planned to include a parade, antique cars, live music, a small midway of entertainment booths, local arts and craft demonstrations, etc. 

 

April 14, 2004

During National Library week, all fines on overdue books returned that week will be forgiven- not including previous fines. National Library Week is a time to celebrate the contributions of our nation’s libraries and librarians and to promote library use and support. 

 

This article has been read 171 times.
Comments
Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of Blanco County News. Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.
Comments powered by Disqus