Why is it called "Sandy"? No one can say exactly, but one assumes that is because of fertile sandy loam soil that is found in the community.
In 1840, this area was still Indian Country and was indeed a high risk area. The Apache, Kiowa, and Comanche tribes roamed this area, which was to become the Sandy Community of today.
Four streams, Hickory Creek, Spring Creek, White Oak Creek and North Grape Creek flowed through this vast portion of the Hill Country. These streams provided not only water, but food and nourishment for early settlers and wildlife.
As settlers forged to settle what we now call Sandy and raise their families, they were concerned, like today’s parent, for the education of their children. By the late 1880s, the people were working together, religiously, socially, economically and educationally, toward common community goals.
The early schools were called "Community Schools." The first school in this area was North Grape Creek. Later came Buffalo School, located at Buffalo Springs, and White Oak School, located on the banks of White Oak Creek.
The older and perhaps best known was Spring Creek Common School District No. 25, or referred to by many as the Lower Spring Creek School and sometimes Grape Creek School. Located on the bank of Spring Creek, one-half mile north of the Tom and Annie Maddox home, on property now owned by the Sollenbergers. These facilities were used not only for education but for social gatherings, church services, and marriages.
At the turn of the century, changes were happening; residents began consolidating the schools. White Oak and Hickory were consolidated and relocated. Officially, they were called Johnson School District No. 24. Most of the old-timers just knew and called it Upper Spring Creek School.
In the early 1920s, changes came again. There was an election and, of the thirty-four votes cast, only one voted against consolidation. A two-room school house, it was named Spring Creek Consolidated School District No. 24.
The ground that we now know as the Sandy School House was given to the community by Mrs. Catherin Crider and Mr. Em Stribling, and is located at 115 Sandy School Road. The first school term was in the Fall of 1925.
1942 rolled around and consolidation was again the motivation of many to consider joining with the Rural High School District. Feelings were mixed, generally due to the fact that most saw this as the Sandy Community by itself.
Please join us on Saturday, May 14, 2011, as we, the Blanco County Historical Commission, and the Sandy Community again open the piece of history. Little River Bluegrass of Blanco will perform, refreshments will be provided, quilts will be on display, historical information will be shared, and much more.
Come learn the entire story of the community and its people, and make a memory for a lifetime.
Information about the history of Sandy is from the Blanco County Heritage Book.