Led by informative speaker Kristin Watt and the debate team of Annie Albrecht and Eleanor Kirkscey, the speech and debate team finished second in overall points at the Salado tournament on Saturday, December 10.
A total of fourteen different BHS students placed in events:
• Prose Interpretation: Mekala Button - 3rd, Thomas Kirkscey - 4th, and Kathleen Griffin - 6th
• Poetry Interpretation: Jurnee Troublefield - 3rd, Paxston Koehl - 4th, and Donald Miller - 6th
• Informative Speaking: Kristin Watt - 1st, and Braxton Guinn - 2nd
• CX Debate: Annie Albrecht and Eleanor Kirkscey - 1st, Callie Nance and Kristin Watt - 6th, and Eleanor Kirkscey - Top Speaker
• Persuasive Speaking: Chris Barnett - 4th
• LD Debate: Tate Baker - 2nd, and Samantha Primeaux - 3rd
“We were only 20 sweepstakes points behind Lampasas,” said speech and debate coach Russell Kirkscey. “They have a strong program, and we beat some of their better speakers, so I’m satisfied with the outcome.”
“I’m particularly pleased that we’re consistently placing speakers at tournaments in all six events.”
The team will host the Blanco High School Speech and Debate tournament on January 7, before continuing their pre-district tournament schedule in the spring.