Blanco County News
Weather Partly Cloudy 84.0°F (41%)
Make 2009 our "Make Blanco Beautiful" Year
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 • Posted January 20, 2009 10:00 PM

Let's make 2009 our "Make Blanco Beautiful Year" by voluntarily complying with the state and city codes and ordinances. The Junk Car ordinance is #231 and the nusiance ordinance is #332. Each ordinance carries the rules for environmental issues that help the city protect the citizens health, safety and welfare. They also protect neighbors property values. Each code or ordinance has enforcement power, however, the desire of the city is that the citizens voluntarily comply. Enforcement will only be done when there is not compliance.

TCEQ has a brochure titled "What do I do with it now?". It is a quick guide to recycling resources. When you are unsure where to take items for recycling or proper disposal call the Texas Environmental Information Line at 1-800-clean-up or

Blanco has two excellent recycling centers thanks to Commission Paul Granberg. Household items that can be recycled are appliances and other scrap metal, paper, cardboard, bottles, cans and oil. For brush contact Blanco City Hall. Practice mulching or start a compost pile at home: to learn how. Call 512-239-0028 for a free copy of the Green Guide to Yard Care (GI-028), or download a copy from the web site at Your county extension agent may also be able to assist you.

Clothing, Toys, Household Goods, Etc. can be taken to the Good Samaritan or to a co-sale shop.For information on computers, printers, televisions and electronics call Paul Granberg. Cell phone and ink cartridges are being collected by Blanco Middle School. The ink cartridges can be deposited at the Blanco Library. There is not a box at the Blanco Chamber of Commerce or Real Foods.

The county, with participation by the cities, is working on a facility for Household Hazardous Waste. All batteries can be taken to Napa on Hwy 281.

Texas law prohibits dumping used oil on land or into storm drains or waterways. It is also illegal to use as a dust suppressant. Check with Blanco City Hall or one of the Oil Change & Lube centers to see if they will accept antifreeze.

For agricultural Pesticides please check the TCEQ infomation website.

This article has been read 88 times.
Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of Blanco County News. Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.
Comments powered by Disqus