As the 2008 Spring Break quickly approaches here are just a few safety tips.
• Drink plenty of water, non-carbonated and non-alcoholic drinks, even if you do not feel thirsty.
• Stay within the designated swimming area and ideally within the visibility of a lifeguard
• Never swim alone.
• Be aware of rip currents. If you should get caught in a current, don't try to swim against it. Swim parallel to shore until clear of the current.
• Seek shelter in case of storm. Get out of the water. Get off the beach in case of lightning.
• Watch out for traffic - some beaches allow cars.
• Choose sunscreen that is made for children, preferably waterproof. Before covering your child, test the sunscreen on your child's back for an allergic reaction. Apply carefully around the eyes, avoiding eyelids. If a rash develops, talk with your pediatrician.
• Select clothes made of tightly woven fabrics. Cotton clothing is both cool and protective.
• When using a cap with a bill, make sure the bill is facing forward to shield your child's face. Sunglasses with UV protection are also a good idea for protecting your child's eyes.
• If your child gets sunburn that results in blistering, pain or fever, contact your pediatrician.
Things to remember to have with you
Start at your head and work down to your toes!
•Shampoo, conditioner, brush/comb, hairdryer, styling implements
•Contact lens solutions, prescription glasses & sunglasses
•Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash
•Over-the-counter medications . . . . aspirin, anti-motion sickness meds, anti-diarrhetics, antacids, antihistamines, Midol, vitamins
•Sunscreen and sun-protective lip balm
•Deodorant, favorite soap, perfume
•Body moisture lotion, face cream & cosmetics
• Personal care items
•Basic FIRST AID KIT
Camera/film/batteries, Hat or sun visor, Sunglasses, Bathing suit/towel, Books/magazines, Light colored, lightweight clothing, Long sleeved T-shirt or other cover-up, A comfortable pair of walking shoes, Sweater or sweatshirt for cool evenings, Alarm clock, Sports-related equipment, Flashlight, Telephone credit card, Personal Identification