On Sunday, October 18, 2009, Mt. Horeb Baptist Church will be hosting Peyton Colony’s annual homecoming service.
There will be a special presentation to unveil the Texas Historical Marker for Peyton Colony at 1:00pm. The marker reads as follows: “In 1865, a group of freed persons, led by Peyton Roberts, established a community they named Peyton Colony. Roberts was born into slavery in Virginia. In the 1820s he came to Texas with his owner, Jeremiah Roberts, settling in the Bastrop and Caldwell Counties area. Peyton and his family eventually became the slaves of Jeremiah Roberts’ grandson, William, who freed his slaves during the civil war. The freed families agreed to work for William during the war, receiving payment in the form of supplies they would need to begin new lives.
In 1865, the former slaves moved to this area, establishing Peyton Colony, which was known as Freedman’s Colony to white settlers. The residents mostly farmed; they also built a lime kiln to make mortar for buildings in the county. The community received a post office named Payton in 1898. It was discontinued in 1909, but reestablished in 1918 with the name Board House, named for Alfred V. Walker’s lumber home, which housed the post office.
Life in the community largely revolved around Mt. Horeb