You can help Texas reduce waste, save energy, conserve natural resources and use less landfill space by remembering the four Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rebuy. Events encouraging the four Rs will be held statewide from mid-October through November 17.
You can celebrate Texas Recycles Day by donating used items to charity, taking your own bags to the store when you shop, depositing your used plastic bags at Super S or HEB, or simply recycling your aluminum cans, glass, paper, cardboard boxes and plastic at the Blanco Recycling Center on Jones Road. Whatever you do, get acquainted with the four Rs by visiting www.texasrecyclesday.org or by calling 1-800-CLEAN-TX.
• Remember that recycling one ton of paper saves 7,000 gallons of water, 17 trees, and 4,100 kilowatt-hours or electricity.
• At least 20 percent of waste generated by Texans comes from grass clipping, leaves, and other landscape wastes.
• Motor oil never wears out. It can be recycled and used over and over again!
• Paper makes up about one-third of solid waste by weight. You can recycle every day by buying recycled-content paper and using both sides of paper when possible.
• Texans throw away enough trash to fill the Astrodome in less than ten days.
For more information, contact KBB volunteers, Pamela Capps at 512-626-9897 or Retta Martin at 833-4720 or contact Nanette Mikes for information on recycling aluminun cans for the Blanco Lions Club.