The Stonewall Volunteer Fire Department and First Responders is planning a building dedication ceremony on Sunday, February 21, 2010 at the new station located at the corner of U. S. Highway 290 East and Ranch Road 1623 North, in Stonewall.
In 1957 a small group of residents and business owners in Stonewall recognized the need to provide fire protection to the eastern part of Gillespie County. These individuals pooled their resources, purchased a 1932 Chevrolet fire truck from the Fredericksburg Fire Dept, hung an old school bell on a windmill tower at Burg’s Lumber Co., which would be used to summon the firemen in the event of a fire; elected officers, volunteered their time and the Stonewall Volunteer Fire Department was formed!
Now, fifty-three years later the Stonewall Volunteer Fire Department is celebrating the growth of the Department and Community with a dedication of the new fire station
The Stonewall Volunteer Fire Department and First Responders invite everyone to join in the celebration, beginning at 2 p.m, Sunday, February 21, 2010. The event will include keynote speakers from the state of Texas, Gillespie County, the Boy and Girl Scouts, as well as eight of the original firefighters participating in the ribbon cutting ceremony. Entertainment will be provided by a local group, refreshments will be served and visitors will have an opportunity to tour the new station.