Wasn’t the snow lovely? Now it’s time for spring. March is here and that means landscaping and gardening.
Things to do in March:
1. Complete garden and yard cleanup.
2. Spread compost on lawn, garden, trees and flower beds.
3. Fertilize trees and lawns with organic fertilizer.
4. Complete trimming all roses, except climbers. Wait until they have finished blooming, then fertilize and add compost.
5. Prune fruit trees. Begin spraying cycle. Use a fruit tree spray. Follow directions on the label.
6. Prepare soil for planting before purchasing vegetables, flowers, trees or shrubs.
7. Know the chilling hour requirements for fruit trees before purchasing. Our requirements are different than San Antonio area.
8. Many fruit trees require a second tree for proper pollination. Our County Extension office in Johnson City will have free information for management of pests and disease on fruit trees, plus a list of plants and trees for our area.
9. Fertilize young trees with one cup of lawn fertilizer per inch of trunk diameter. Spread around the drip line and water well.
10. Start seeds of zinnias, sunflower and cosmos outdoors this month.
11. It’s time to think about your lawn. Many lawns will need to add new grass seed or sod. Many lawns were lost this winter. You might want to spread 1/4 inch of good compost over a cut lawn; water and see how much grass comes up before installing new sod. Remember, it depends on how much sun you have before choosing your lawn grass.
This is a good time to get your equipment ready for the season.
Sharpen blades, add new oil and make sure all the engines start when you want them to. We don’t need any frustration in the beginning of gardening season.