Red Flag Burn Ban In Effect
Blanco County News
Weather Partly Cloudy 84.0°F (41%)
Commissioners Appoint Two to Child Welfare and Family Advocacy Board
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 • Posted May 11, 2010

At the regular meeting of the Blanco County Commissioners Court held on May 11, Commissioners approved the appointment of Laura Zeig and Robbin Malain to the Blanco County Child Welfare and Family Advocacy Board.

Carlos A. Lopez, Professional Engineer, with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), introduced himself to the Court. As the Austin District Engineer for TxDOT since July of 2009, he represents eleven diverse counties in central Texas.

“We care about all eleven counties,” he said. “Not just those such as Travis County that have higher volumes of traffic.” He said that his main concern is in keeping our roads safe.

He gave a brief report on the fact that funding for roads and bridges is dwindling due in large part to the increase in low mileage automobiles. The newer cars use less fuel which translates into lower income to the State in terms of fuel taxes.

Mr. Lopez said that 80% of the roads in our area are considered “good” which prompted Blanco County resident, Larry Martin, to ask when the other 20% would be taken care of. Mr. Lopez responded by saying that the State goal is to have 90% of its roads in the “good” category but that the State might have to back off that goal as revenues fall.

He said that some state legislators want to propose an additional five cents per gallon gas tax but that Governor Perry probably would not sign a bill that included any new tax.

Mr. Lopez admitted that emphasis had to be placed on the roads with the highest volume of traffic in order to best utilize dwindling resources. He said that roads with a volume of 10,000 vehicles or less will get only a seal coat by way of maintenance while higher volume roads would get a more permanent fix. “As long as our revenues are tied to a fuel tax and more cars are becoming more fuel efficient, then our revenues are lower.”

In other business, Commissioners authorized Judge Guthrie to apply for two CAPCOG solid waste grants.

Commissioners considered two bids that were received to conduct construction materials testing for the Blanco County Jail/Law Enforcement Center Project. The firm of Kleinfelder submitted a bid of $26,431. Commissioners unanimously accepted the low bid of $9,659 from Alpha Testing.

Judge Guthrie reported that construction of the new Annex is proceeding without problems. He said, however, that in order to meet a new Johnson City ordnance on professional and commercial building projects, 28 additional parking spaces will be required at the Jail complex.

This article has been read 141 times.
Comments
Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of Blanco County News. Comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.
Comments powered by Disqus

View the last five weeks.

For more issues, view our issue archive.

Find what you're looking for in our Classified Advertising section.

For Rent (2)Help Wanted (3)
Services (1)

Get it sold, get it rented, and more. Place a classified ad.

Subscribe to the Blanco County News to get local news, school, sports, real estate, and events delivered directly to your mailbox.

Call 830-833-4812 if you have any questions or to subscribe over the phone.