In May, 1859, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Silliman moved to Blanco from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Silliman began to organize a Baptist church. Mr. Silliman, a Presbyterian, soon became a Baptist and helped his wife with the organization of First Baptist Church, which was constituted on Sunday, November 6, 1859, with five members. Rev. Bird was the first pastor.
From 1859-1902, the Blanco Baptist Church had no building of its own. The congregation met at the Union Church with the Methodist and Church of Christ. Each congregation would lead the service one Sunday each month; all would participate in an all day singing on the fourth Sunday.
In 1902, Baptists of Blanco moved into their first church building. In 1949, an educational wing was added; in 1951, the old white frame auditorium was replaced by the building still visible on Highway 281 South, City of Blanco. The current building on Highway 1623 was dedicated September 14, 1975. Its Building Committee was Charles Tatum, Lester Cobb, B.R. Gloor, Bud Covin, Stan Lane, Dorsey Lee Smith, Cliff Wilson, Aaron Posey, Kenny Moore, Claudia Cobb, Mrs. Jesse Johnson, Medora Posey. The musical Alleluia, conducted by George Covin and narrated by Rev. Tom Lanier, was presented by the choir: Jeanagayle Behrens, Mary Booth, Lee Cage Wilma Cage, Buddy, Gary , John, and Linda Covin, Jo Anna and Sandy Clauss, Bea Ellison, Shirley Gilbreath, Claire Gloor, Pat and Stan Lane, Donna Lanier, CA Rust III, Angie Smith, Gene Smith, Bubba Snowden, Joan Tatum, Janet Walker, Wayne and Cliff Wilson.
A youth and administrative building was recently dedicated. Its Building Committee included Cliff Wilson, Dan Murrah, Buddy Johnson, Angie Smith, Douglas Johnson with special effort from many including Chuck Schwertz, John Smith, James Dowlearn, Mike Moraign, Buddy Johnson, Ken Eastman, and Dennis Moore.
On the 132nd anniversary of the founding of the church, a historical marker was unveiled by Wilma Cage, Ida Crow, and Cicero and Olla Rust. Remarks were given by Dr. Jack Byrom, President of San Marcos Baptist Academy, Pastor W.R. Hicks, Rev. Kenneth King, San Marcos Baptist Assn., Conrad Carbary of Blanco County Historical Society, Don Warden, New Church Consultant. Music was by the choir directed by Vickie Pautz to the accompaniment of Angie Smith, with violinists Juile Pautz and Gladys Stones. Claire Gloor, with daughters Kristin Johnson and Karen Wagenfehr provided a medley in song.
A missionary spirit prevails. A former Blanco Baptist Church member, Miss Mary Alexander, went on to serve 40 years as a foreign missionary, being imprisoned in China during World War II. Quite recently Blanco Baptist Church helped to start a new church in the Boerne/Fair Oaks area. The youth recently fulfilled a mission trip to Arkansas. Over the years, the youth worked in Mexico on missions; many individual youth traveled on missions including Eben Gourley, Mary Cummings, Daniel Culpepper, Sarah Culpepper, Michelle Wagner, Leighton Tatum, Eric Lane, and Michelle Tatum.
The current youth pastor is Keith Beck. The Baptist Young People’s Union was organized in 1902. Miss Rebekah Baines, who later became the mother of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, was a member of this first group.
In June 1985, W. Rusty Hicks became our present pastor. He has served First Baptist Church for more years than any other pastor, surpassing the service of William McNeill for 17 years from 1933-1950.