The Blanco Chamber of Commerce, local businesses, and the Old Blanco County Courthouse Preservation Society (OBCCPS) are completing preparations for the annual Lighting of the Courthouse and the Blanco Town Square, this coming Friday, November 23rd.
Festivities will begin at 5:00 PM with the first carriage rides and the gathering of singers on the north steps of the Old Blanco County Courthouse. Most businesses will stay open until 8:30 and many will serve refreshments and offer music. The schedule is as follows:
• 5:00 PM: First carriage ride leaves Courthouse Square. Teams and carriages are organized courtesy of Dennis Moore Trucking. Donations will be accepted to defray the actual costs. Several carriages and wagons will circulate and rides will continue until 8:00 PM.
• 5:00: The “Courthouse Steps Carolers” will assemble at the north entrance of the Courthouse. Singing of Christmas carols will begin at 5:15. Local musicians will accompany the singers and the public is encouraged to join in. Song sheets will be provided.
• 6:00: Lights will be turned on at the Courthouse and at businesses on and near the square. Businesses are asked to leave their lights off until 6:00.
• 6:00 to 7:30: Santa Claus will greet children upstairs in the Courthouse, to the accompaniment of live harp music. Refreshments will be provided.
• 6:00 to 8:30 (or until the last customer leaves): Businesses on and near the square will be open for shoppers. Many will be offering coupons or other promotions. Live music will be provided in several locations:
• Cut's and Curls: Refreshments, Little River, Jubilee Singers
• Brieger Pottery: Refreshments and Violins (Ria Hodgson and Celeste Riepe)
• Uptown Blanco Restaurant: Larry Natwick at the Piano, Holiday Specials
• Sunset Restaurant: Hot Cider, music, and goodies on the front porch
• Blanco National Bank: Refreshments and music in the Lobby
• United States Postal Service: Refreshments in the Lobby
• Office Cube: Refreshments
• Two Friends: Cake, Cookies, drinks
• The Vintage Cottage: Music, Wassail, Cookies
• On the Square: Guitar, Vocal, Refreshments
• Hill Country Real Estate: Refreshments
• REMAX Genesis: Refreshments
• Blanco Chamber: Music, Wine, Cheese, other Refreshments
Many local businesses will offer promotions and maintain special hours throughout the holiday shopping season, to encourage a “Shop Local” theme. Coupons and fliers may be brought to the Blanco Chamber of Commerce office, at 312 Pecan Street, where a display table will be provided. Currently, these special hours and offers include:
• Cuts 'n Curls: Open 'til at least 8:00 PM on November 23rd. Specials on services and cosmetics throughout the Christmas shopping season.
• Brieger Pottery: 'Til 9:00 on November 23rd, 6:00 on November 24th; Extended hours, 7 days per week, 10:00 AM to 5:00 during the Christmas shopping season. Free gift wrap.
• On the Square: Holiday specials throughout the store. Extended hours, 7 days per week, 9:30-5:30
• Real Foods: Holiday discounts throughout the store
• Cranberry's: Specials throughout the store.
• Remax/Genesis: Free competitive market analysis (CMA)
• The Vintage Cottage: Open November 23rd until 8:30 or until the last customer leaves. Specials on Friday and Saturday, 11/23-11/24: 10% off everything except antiques. Extended hours, 7 days per week 10 AM to 6 PM from Dec 1-23, 9-2 on Dec 24.
• Two Friends: Holiday specials and coupons.
• Uptown Blanco Restaurant: Open 11:00 AM 'til 9:00 PM, Friday through Sunday. Food specials during the holiday season.
• The Natural Life Provisions Company: (8th & Pecan), 15% off all cleaning products, gift certificates
• Country Cleaners and Resale: 50% off prices on all merchandise.
As additional specials and coupons are announced, information will be available at the Chamber of Commerce office and in individual stores.
Come join us in song and celebration, enjoy the evening, celebrate our great town, save gasoline and stay away from the malls during the Christmas shopping season.