We must prove we have the resources to secure our borders and use them, while respecting the dignity and rights of citizens and legal residents of the United States. When we have achieved our border security goal, we must enact and implement the other parts of practical, fair, and necessary immigration policy. John McCain
John McCain believes that the U.S .immigration system is broken and plans a two step process is required to reform it.
Step One: Secure our borders first by:
• Setting clear guidelines and objectives for securing the border with physical and virtual barriers.
• Ensuring adequate funding is provided for resources on the ground for training facilities, support staff, and the use of technology.
• Providing funding to US Attorney’s offices in Border States.
• Using unmanned Aerial Vehicles and other aircraft to patrol certain areas of the borders.
• Continue implementation of the US-VISIT comprehensive visitor security program.
Step Two: Prosecute employers that continue to hire illegal immigrants. His plans include a “real time” Electronic Employment Verification System that will:
• Establish an easy to use system to check a worker’s identity.
• Provide responses to employer inquiries in a timely manner to provide both employer and employee security in their hiring decisions.
• Keep accurate, current data in employment verification databases.
• Provide employers and employees time and opportunity to correct possible errors with any information in the system.
• Weed out abusive employers through audits by the Department of Labor.
• Do a proper accounting of all social security numbers and notifying citizens whose number is being used illegally.
In addition to the two-step plan discussed above, McCain will meet America’s labor need with temporary worker programs for needed workers in the high tech and low skilled sectors while protecting employment opportunities for U.S. workers.
All undocumented individuals in the U.S. will be required to enroll in a program to resolve their status. All undocumented aliens either leave or follow the path to legal residence. No green cards will be issued to illegal workers before issuing cards to those who have been legally waiting outside the country. The program will provide a system that is fair, humane, realistic and ensures the rights of the individual and family.