Americans have always risen to great challenges, and our dependence on oil is one of the greatest challenges we have ever faced. It’s a threat to our national security, our planet, and our economy. Our country cannot afford politics as usual. We must act quickly and boldly to transform our entire economy. It will require a sustained and shared effort by our government, our businesses, and the American people; but there is no question that we possess the courage and determination for this goal. Here are some of Obama’s plans for reaching this goal.
• Require oil companies to take a reasonable share of their record-breaking profits to provide a rebate worth $500 to individuals and $1000 to married couples to be delivered as quickly as possible to help those suffering from the high cost of gas.
• Create five million new jobs by helping companies retool and manufacture clean energy and products.
• Make training and jobs in the new energy economy available to returning veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan and at risk young people.
• Promote the responsible domestic production of oil. Obama is not against new drilling, but wants to drill in areas that have the most oil and cause the least environmental damage.
• Deploy the cheapest, cleanest, fastest energy source—Energy Efficiency!
• Diversify our energy sources. Help develop, build, and make affordable clean energies.
• Make our cars, trucks, and SUV’s more fuel-efficient.
• Within ten years save more oil than we now import from the Middle East and Venezuela combined.
• Implement a cap and trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2050.
• Ensure 10% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012 and 25% by 2050.
• Make the United States a leader on addressing the Global Climate Change problem. America is known as a leader. We need to regain that status in this most important problem.
All of these programs seem like a lot, but we must take action and work together so our grandchildren have a safe and healthy environment. Then we can again be proud that our country led the way into a better future.