Things to do in October:
1. Continue to feed flowering plants with a high nitrogen fertilizer like you would your lawn.
2. October is the best month to do Fall fertilizing.
3. Don’t do heavy pruning until winter; only prune to shape and remove dead branches and limbs.
4. Plant some new roses; try Knock Out in reds and pinks.
5. Cole crops and leafy greens should be planted this month.
6. Toward the end of October of the first part of November, add root crops, carrots, turnips, radishes, onions, garlic and shallots.
7. Plant perennial herbs,; oregano, thyme, rosemary, pineapple sage, mint, chives and mint marigold.
8. Add fall flowers except pansies and Johnny-jump-ups, the weather needs to be cooler before they are planted.
9. Keep weeds down in the gardens and flower beds. Use mulch.
10. This is the best time to choose Fall color for your landscape, trees, shrubs and perennials.
11. As the leaves fall, rake them and run a mower over them a couple of times to shred them. Place them in the compost pile or use them as mulch.
12. New bulbs are available in the nurseries. Buy the bulbs while you have a wide choice, you can place them in the refrigerator until planting time. don’t place them in the same tray as apples, the bulbs will begin to bud before its time. By adding a few new bulbs each year, you will have an interesting landscape in a few years. Plant bulbs in groups of three, use bonemeal in the planting hole.