John McCain believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect. We have a responsibility to ensure that criminals who violate the law are prosecuted to the fullest, rather than restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals - criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway. The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that Washington D.C. citizens have the right to bear arms. This legislation was co-sponsored by John McCain. McCain opposes back door attempts to restrict the second amendment rights by any means including:
• holding gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed by third parties..
• restrictions on so-called “assault rifles”
• bans on the importation of certain types of high capacity magazines
• bans on certain types of “armor-piercing” ammunition
• criminal background checks
• waiting periods for purchase of certain handguns
• confiscation of fire arms after an emergency (as was done in New Orleans after Katrina)
John McCain supports:
• legislation requiring gun manufacturers to include gun safety devices such as trigger locks in product packaging.
• education of firearms owners to learn how to safely use and store the firearms they own.
• mandatory penalties for criminals who use a firearm in the commission of a crime or illegally possess a firearm.
McCain believes enforcing the current laws on the books is the best way to deter crime.